Friday, January 23, 2009

When your heart sinks, I get to breathe

I used to matter to you
when I was sad, you were there
when I was happy, you were there
now all that's left is nothing
and I'd be lying if i say i don't care.

I remember calling you every night,
asking you things which didn't have to make sense
and talking late into the night
two souls left to explore the joys of companionship
then suddenly everything changed,
and I never felt more alone

Life was never a bed of roses
and you knew better than anyone the bitter swill I had tasted in this 15 years
I told you everything
from the smallest detail to the biggest news
you were the fortress which kept me safe,
the gate which opened me up to new ideas,
my best friend whom I trusted.

I know I'm typing in the past tense.
because our relationship feels like that now
dry, mundane, unfulfilled
I miss you, do you know that?
And I don't know when there will be just us again.

never, perhaps.